Monday, March 25, 2013

Tolkien Reading Day



I recently discovered that 
March 25th 
is Tolkien Reading Day. 
I have no clue how I have never 
heard of this before. 

"It all came about because a New York journalist enquired whether there was such a thing as a “Tolkien Reading Day”.
My grandparents were fishing folk from Buckie in the north of Scotland, carriers of the old stories and legends, and the trilogy has filled a certain hole in my life. I have many friends here in New York who were equally moved by the book, reignited by the film, and we all wondered: is there any day devoted informally to readings from the trilogy, in the way that “bloomsday” is devoted to Joyce?
That enquiry was sent to the Tolkien Society in January 2002. The then committee liked the idea and after a certain amount of discussion picked March 25th as “Tolkien Reading Day”. The rest, as they say, is history!
Thank you, Sean." 
-source 

I read The Hobbit this weekend 
and I am now reading Lord of the Rings
I absolutely love these books! 
I have read them many, many times 
but I always find something new 
with every re-reading. 

Are you a Tolkien fan? 
What is your favorite Tolkien book?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so bad. I never read the books or saw the movies! I need to catch up.

    Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like his movies.... ;) I'm afraid o found LOTR very tedious in written form. I know, blasphemy. But what can I say, I got bored. I did appreciate reading his strong female characters, though.

    ReplyDelete