Friday, December 24, 2010

favorite christmas traditions

Since this is Christmas Week,
I thought I would share a few of my favorite things.
From songs to books to movies to traditions.

Favorite Christmas Traditions

Christmas lights on Christmas Eve
For as long as I can remember a group of us would drive around and look at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve.  I have continued that tradition with my nieces and I love seeing their faces light up.  We literally drive around for HOURS even going to neighboring towns.

Chicken & Dumplings
My aunt makes the absolute best chicken & dumplings in the world! She learned how to make them from her mom (my grandma). All of us insist ask her to make them every holiday.  And every holiday I ask her to teach me how to make them. She patiently tells me what to do while I make them.  I always say I am going to make them by myself, but I never do. I love having her show me year after year!

The Grinch
When my nieces were ages 3 & 5 they insisted that I read How The Grinch Stole Christmas every night for about 2 months.  I still have that entire book memorized. I still read it to them at least once or twice over the Christmas holidays every year.  It will be a very sad Christmas if they ever grow out of The Grinch.

Story of Jesus' Birth
As a family either on Christmas Eve or Christmas day, we read the story of Jesus' birth from the Bible. Every year I am still in awe that Jesus chose to come to Earth. And every year I see the story from a new perspective.

Birthday Cake for Jesus
I was about 5 years old when I made my first birthday cake for Jesus. I think that is where my love of baking started.  On Christmas day we light candles and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Our traditions have changed and grown over the years, but I love having these constants to look forward to every year!
{click on pics for source}


What are your favorite Christmas traditions?

1 comment:

  1. These are all great traditions! I'm disappointed...I haven't been able to drive around and look at lights yet this year! I'm hoping it's still acceptable to do a few days after the big day!

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete